Interview with Flatland Funk



Flatland Funk is a very talented and Huge Canadian producer hailing from Regina with many strings in his bow! A real music lover with many big releases on huge labels. He has this extraordinary ability during his Live performances to transmit his extraordinary vibes and overflowing energy, captivating the crowd with his various sounds! He has the strong support from many artists and played along them in big festivals! A hard worker and extremely generous. I had the privilege to interview him and wanted to know more about his projects, his dreams and his opinion on the music scene. 



1. You are a Canadian DJ-Producer, hailing from Regina, played alongside big artists like Zomboy, Bear Grillz, Jack Ü, Marshmellow, Ludacris, Jayceeoh, Don Diablo and more, getting a strong support from an amount of them, when and how did you get to music and how did you get involved to producing?

My father and I share the love for music. He was a drummer and toured with a band. I played guitar growing up. I have always loved music. I discovered electronic music over 15 years ago. After attending my first show, I just knew it was meant to be. A buddy of mine let me borrow some turntables. They were a pair of Gemini PT2000 belt driven turntables. I had a stack of hard House and Trance records. I went to work; practicing everyday. 
Production came later. As a DJ, I have always played out a wide variety of genres and styles. I wanted to be able to create the music I loved to play.

2. What is the story behind the name 'Flatland Funk'?

Flatland Funk originally started out as a duo with Joe Wallace (he later retired to focus on his family). Our friend James Amico came up with the name. We live in Saskatchewan, a province from Canada. It's basically the flattest place on Earth and known as 'The Flatlands'. At that time in my life, I played out Funky Breaks. The name just stuck.

3. What was your first track?

My very first track was an official remix for AC Slater called - Get Up Against The wall. It came out on vinyl on Epidemic Recordings.

4. Did you plan at your early age to make a career in music?

As I've said before, I have always had the love for music. But as a kid, I never expected to be so involved in the industry like I am today. It is an amazing feeling.

5. What are your musical influences?

My favorite band of all time and my biggest inspiration is definitely 'Pink Floyd'. I once owned 5 different guitars, 2 acoustic and 3 electric. I would toy around with many different sounds. I still try to create an emotion with instruments and sounds in my own music like Pink Floyd does. 

6. Who is your biggest inspiration?And why?

I'm inspired by people who are working really hard at their craft and are passionate about what they do. NGHTMRE, Party Favor, Snails, Brillz, Bombs Aways and Peep This all come to mind.

7. How would you define your sound? What is(are) your style(s)?How did you develop it?

I tend to play out different sounds depending on my crowd and venue. My productions are also constantly changing and developing over time. Diversity is the key.

8. What does music provide you everyday?

Music is definitely an outlet for me. It keeps me balanced, brings me happiness and it's a release.

9. Where do you get inspiration from?

I find inspiration in anything and everything.

10. What are the main elements and conditions for you for producing?

I need coffee! I also occasionally smoke hookah. Both of those create a relaxing atmosphere in the studio for me so I can focus.



11. What is(are) your favorite program(s) in producing?

I am an avid Ableton user. I really like the sequencing and ease of use the program. As fas as the synths go my main baby is Serum. It is like Massive on steroids.

12. What makes you different and unique as a producer?

I think what makes me different and unique as a producer is that I don't stick to one particular style or sound. I like all genres of music. Music is always evolving, so I don't see why I can't evolve too.

13. What do you like the most when playing LIVE?

I love the rush. The energy from the crowd is intoxicating. Connecting with the crowd is absolutely the best feeling!

14. You played many festivals this summer alongside big artists. What is your most memorable moment? And what kind of experience did you get from all these festivals?

Yes, I'm so grateful to have played some incredible festivals this summer. Chasing Summer Music Festival was definitely one of the many highlights for me this year. It is a festival in Calgary, Alberta. The weekend attendance was over 30.000 people. It was one of the biggest stages I have played on. 
Marshmello, JAUZ, Hardwell, The Chainsmokers, Don Diablo, Galantis, Party Favor, Martin Garrix, and Zeds Dead were all on the lineup. It was definitely a 'Bucket List' moment for me. I was also super honored to have played Vibe Music Festival in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I played alongside Ludacris, Zomboy, Brillz, MAKJ, TyDi and DJ Craze. The province of Saskatchewan has never experienced a festival of this size or calibre before. It was super successful and they plan on making it an annual festival.

15. You have been releasing many tracks on huge labels from the beginning as on Big Fish Recordings, Peak Hour Music and more, and you are the co-owner/Co-founder of Pyramid Recordings. How was the label born?

Thank you! I am the co-owner/co-founder of Pyramid Recordings. I run the label with Farace, a good friend of many years and fellow DJ-Producer from Jacksonville, Florida. He is also the owner of the major Breaks label: Kick It recordings. Pyramid Recordings label was born simply because we both love music. We had both worked previously with other labels and built a big knowledge base of all the working operations a label needs to be successful. 

16. What is your objective with this label and what direction are you using to develop it more?

Our main objective was to create a brand and release great music. We take pride in having an open format label that releases all genres of electronic music.



17. What are the projects you are working on personally and what can we expect for the future?

I'm currently working on 2 projects right now. The first is an original which I haven't shopped around yet. It features a vocal from Nathan Brumley. It's more of a progressive banger. I also have a collaboration with an artist from Panda Funk that should be finished right away too. Expect that one to be high energy electro track with some trap elements. As for the future, I find myself really playing a lot of trap and bass. I'm going to spend the next while focusing on some new sound design. 2017 should be a big year and I want to get my sound right!

18. What is your favorite venue or festivals to perform at? Why?

My favorite venue to play, hands down, is the 'Shaw Conference Centre' in Edmonton, Alberta. A huge thanks to "Boodang Music Canada" for all the opportunities to play frequently at this phenomenal venue. The capacity for events is about 5000 or so. The energy that comes off those crowds is unmatched. Chasing Summer Festival, Vibe Music festival, Motion Notion Music Festival, Connect Festival and Fozzy Fest are definitely amongst my favorite festivals I have played. Each one is unique and a heck of a good time. Shambhala Music Festival is a goal of mine to play in 2017. It sold out in 24 hours. It is a one of a kind festival.

19. What is your biggest dream?

My dream is to get on a tour as a supporting act to one of my favorite artists and learn from them. I also want longevity within the music industry and produce and tour as my career. 

20. What is your Top 5 of tracks?

a) Snails x Pegboard Nerds- Deep In The Night (original Mix) (Monstercat)
b) Reid Speed x A Boy & A Girl ft Armani Reign- Stampede (Wild Boyz! remix) (Play Me records)
c) Haywyre - Endlessly (Twine Remix)
d) Francis Derelle x hearts xConvex ft. Dustin Cook - Closer (cover)
e) Tascione x TYNVN - deeper Love (original Mix)

21. You have collaborated with many great artists so far. Is there anyone you still wanna collaborate with?

I am definitely interested in collaborating with Jinco, Yultron,Ookay, Brillz, Party Favor, Jayceeoh, Tascione. I put it out there.... Let's see if it goes anywhere.

22. What is the most difficult part in collaborations? What kind of thing(s) you should take into account and cope with?

Just the different ideas, and or direction one wants to take a track as opposed to your own personal opinion. Producers have strong personalities. We sometimes butt heads.

23. What is the project you are the most proud of?

I am most proud of my Big Fish Recordings release and having Lazy Rich remix one of my tracks. It was a track I did with hip-hop artist Tory D called 'Lose Control'. That opened a lot of doors for me.

24. You are involved in a new online platform AGNT connecting artists with organizers of events. Tell us more about it.

AGNT is a revolutionary new way to book talents. We are an online platform that connects artist and organizers like never before. We represent an ever-growing pool of new and established DJ's all of whom are hungry to play and gain new exposure. Our goal is to make booking talent easier and more intuitive than it's ever been. You can find us on the app store: AGNT, or on our website: www.agnt.com

25. I give you 6 names of artists and you must give me back just one word that characterize them: Zomboy, Bear Grillz, Snails, Virtual Riot, Soltan, 12th Planet.

Zomboy: BASSFACE!
Bear Grillz: MYSTERY MAN.
Snails: SLIME!
Virtual Riot: HEAVY
Sultan: BAZZAR
12th Planet: RIDDIM

26. What do you think of the music scene nowadays and how do you see its future?

The music scene has definitely changed over the years as it is always evolving, but it is exciting! Electronic music has taken over the world. I feel it is only going to get bigger and better.

27: Define Music.

It's my happiness.

Make sure to follow Flatland Funk on:




Comments

Post a Comment