Interview with ZFX


ZFX, a name that sounds like something coming from another planet, another dimension; something that is definitely emerging from another world and perhaps even from another galaxy. This fits perfectly with the personality of this remarkable French producer;a versatile and talented artist with a Heavy sound. He has many strings on his bow: Musician, producer, great performer: What else! I wanted to know more about his music background and his forthcoming projects.

1. Hello ZFX, thank you for answering my questions for Dubstrapn'bass. You are a very talented artist; French producer, musician (drummer), can you introduce yourself for those who don't know you yet.

Hello Dubstrapn'bass, thank you for this interview. So, I'm Niko, I'm 26 years old; I live in Montpellier in the south of France. I produce dubstep since almost 3 years now. I launched the ZFX project 2 years ago. As far as the name ZFX is concerned, it's a mix of plenty of things, mainly ZF coming from Zeff, a nickname many of my friends have given to me; then the X has been added to give an effect to make it as an interstellar code name. 

2. How and When did you get to music?

I started music very early. My parents are musicians and when I was 1 year old, I was on stage with them, sitting on their drummer knees. I really started learning drums at about 5-6 and I completed my training with 10 years at Perpignan' s  music Conservatory. When I was 14, I was fascinated by post production in the studio of the Middle School I attended and I started to play with audio sequencer to record instruments , to make adjustments, and electronic treatment. When I was 17, this really motivated me to start producing electronic music, being mainly influenced by Daft Punk. Then, I discovered dubstep and I got there 200%.   

3. What are your musical influences?

Being mainly a drummer, my idol is Travis Barker. I like this guy very much and the way I play is a lot influenced by him as well as by Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Thomas Pridgen. I also played in Salsa bands. Regarding composition, I like artists from different styles as John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore. I love Rock, which is above all  my favorite genre with bands like Blink-182, Sum 41, Nightwish, A day To Remember. I am also inspired by Jazz artists like Miles Davies, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett ; In bass music, I'm very much influenced by Panda Eyes, Spag Heddy, Virtual Riot, Xilent...

4. How did you get involved to producing?

I was practicing a lot before starting producing dubstep. I started on Magix, Cubase, Reason, Ableton without getting something good, till the day I came across videos from Virtual Riot , and from that time, some interesting things came out.  

5. Where do you get inspiration from?

Inspiration can come from anything; my state of mind, a drum loop, a melody, a wobble that can be a good starting point. I also get inspired while walking, driving, thinking about a music and this gives me a quick idea. 

6. How would you define your sound?

I can't define my sound. To me, it has a specific meaning but for others, it means something else. What is great in music is that each imagines his universe through the music he is listening to, and this depends from a person to another. Thus, I could never define my sound because it is something that we feel and each has its own perception. 



7. What would be a typical day of production with ZFX?

I dont' necessarily have a typical day of production. When I start working on my laptop, I try a couple of  things, and either it works or not. I happened sometimes to force my inspiration but in general I don't do that and I let the ideas come . If they don't , they will definitely come later. 

8. What is your favorite program in producing?

I essentially work with Ableton Live which is great for composing and producing electronic music. It works very well for loops edition and easy for the different chains of instruments or synths. 

9. You recently released  the huge 'Dark Nebula' EP on Dark Pack Records. Can you tell us more about it?

Dark Nebula is an EP that I worked on for about 1 year and a half. I started to work on that EP before meeting my friends at Dark Pack. One day, when I was home, I got bored , and  in 1 hour, I had a drop and an intro. I got it heard by Figure (who was booked by my friend Neurobass from Bassproject and Baron Saeba from Pleiade) who found it good. 2 days later, I have been contacted by Dark Pack who asked for an EP, but I didn't feel good in terms of production. So, I got a lot of practice and in April 2016 , 'Celtic Constellation' was born, and last summer , 'Code:1990', followed by 'Kepler'. During that time, I learned a lot on the style, on the techniques of production thanks to tutorials and Cymatics crew. During that period, I also released some tracks among them 'Exoplanet', and a remix of 'Onii -Chan' by Must Die! 

10. What are the projects you are working on and what can we expect for 2017? 

I'm working on a second track for Bassroots Records . I'm also preparing a remix for a very famous series whose 7th season is gonna start soon. Then, I have a forthcoming EP in collaboration with a friend of mine at Dark Pack, some tunes for compilations, and maybe other collaborations. 

11. Any gigs planned so far? In France and abroad?

Being mainly a musician, I perform a lot as a drummer and very little behind turntables. Therefore, I hope I' ll  perform more behind the decks very soon. I mainly played in the south of France, and I would love to play The United States, Canada, England, Germany , Belgium and Spain; These countries are very attractive. 

12. Who are your next guests Mix for your Radio Show? And who would you love to have as a guest?

I really don't know. We organise it day to day. I already received the DAD crew and the Bassprojects from Montpellier who both organise bass music shows there. I also had Psykoze Production and Fractal Function as guests who organize trance, tribal and hardcore parties in Montpellier as well. In bass music, Ivory from 193 Records and Graphyt are interested in being my guests.  I already had Data Wave from ElectronyzeMe label, Snooze from Hybrid Theory, my friend KMZA who produces for several labels. I would like to do 2 hardcore shows with my friends from the PSKT crew and another friend D-mas and his brother Armtek. I'm planning to do a big radio show with dubstep, trance, acid, hardcore . A Show starting from 21h to 3h am. Regarding the guest artists , I would love to have Spag Heddy, Virtual Riot, AstralOne, PhaseOne and more. 



13. Besides Dubstep, you work on a different alias, in different genres as in Trance and in hardcore. Tell us more about it.

That's right. I mix these two other genres under 2 different aliases; Myrddin for trance, and Chemical Core for hardcore. I started to mix with these genres in rave parties and performed in front of the audience with these styles because bass music (except for dnb) is not liked in free parties..... It's sad, but I discovered these styles very interesting. Now, I don't go to these parties; I 'm booked by Psykoze and Fractal in legal parties. 

14. Any dream collaborations?

Without hesitation , PhaseOne, because we have the same musical tastes; filthy dubstep and metal. I would love to collaborate with Spag Heddy too; Dark Pack and my friend Neurobass have already booked him . We have met twice and we had a lot of fun. Spag Heddy is a great guy and I like his work. There is also Virtual Riot I wanna collaborate with. 

15. What are your new challenges?

After my 2 shows in Marseille, my new challenge is to release a track every 3 weeks, with new elements like intros sounding like soundtracks and metal. In the forthcoming productions, I will bring some influences like those of John Williams', as well as hard sonorities as Iron Maiden and heavy wobble basses. 

16. What is the place of Dubstep in France?

I don't know about the whole places in France , but in the south, and more precisely in Monpellier , it worked well  2 years ago, then trance came over it, and we lost the audience; but things are getting changed thanks to the Bassproject crew, Dirty labs, DAD and Electrodidact who work hard to raise the level  and to get things changed , and we get more and more people involved in that music. But it is not the case everywhere. In Toulouse, Dark Pack 's city, there is a huge dubstep and dnb audience who still supports bass music and the parties there, are always huge and over booked. Obviously, there are big shows in Paris like Animalz or Drop In bass.

17. What is your favorite venue or festival to perform at?

I would like to perform everywhere but what I'm looking for is definitely a great audience with an amazing vibe. 

18. What is your Top 5 of tracks?

- PhaseOne: Origins.
- Virtual Riot: Never let Me Go
-Kayzo x Riot: Wake Up
Getter: Rip n Dip (Kill The Noise remix)
AstralOne x Venom: Corrupted.

19. How do you see the future of the music scene?

It's a bit hard to project oneself when it is music related because it is in a constant movement; styles change, and the audience adapts itself whatever the style. We'll see in a few years .

20. Define Music.

I have many definitions regarding music. It depends on my mood. Sometimes, it gives me the feeling to lose myself in it, to let off steam, and sometimes to calm myself , to escape, to chill and to relax. Music is a very good way to escape towards concrete or abstract universes and it has a great impact on our mind.



Make sure to follow ZFX on:




Comments