Interview with 'Electronyze Me' label boss

                                      

Electronyze Me, a French bass label that is aptly named, a new imprint in the industry but already big through its huge releases and artists. A label that definitely pushes the limits in sounds and reveals new remarkable talents, as quality, hard working, open-mindedness and heaviness qualify this label. I wanted to know more about the direction this label is taking by chatting a bit with the boss himself, Anthony, and wanted to get his opinion on the music scene nowadays.




1. Hello Anthony, you are the founder of Electronyze Me label. How the idea of creating the label came to you? 

EM: Well, I discovered bass music in a club by chance, and that was very inspiring and enriching. I, then, decided to create a Facebook page to bring some light on new artists and to promote them , giving them the opportunity to get more plays on their tracks and to get more followers. I wanted them to be known by a large amount of people. Then, as time passed, I realized that I wanted something bigger than that; I was expecting more.  At that time,  I was  already listening to tons of tunes , from a wide range of music; I felt the need to do something more important for the artists in order to help them, and the idea of creating a label came to me in that way. At the beginning, my label served as a springboard for artists to get known but after a year and a half, things got bigger and there were huge releases on the imprint. 

2. What is the story behind the name 'Electronyze Me'?

EM: The idea came randomly to me. I remember I was listening to an electro track, a very captivating one and at the same moment, there was an advertisement on TV about electricity; I liked the concept of the ad and I started to play with the words 'Electro' and 'Electricity', trying to find out a very punchy name.  I wanted it to be easy to remember and impactful. After many tries, I finally got the name. That's how the name Electronyze Me was created.

3. Are you an artist yourself?

EM: Not at all. I used to play guitar when I was young. Before electro music, there was the rock period. I had friends who were playing in a band and I was the one who did their promo. I was always interested in promoting the artists . It is something I like very much.  Maybe, one day, I will play and produce, but for the moment, I focus on promoting artists and growing the label. I want to spend my time allowing the artists to get more exposure on the networks , putting some light on  them, on their career  and announcing their works to blogs and all social media. It takes a lot of time, but I love that. 

4. How would you describe yourself as a person?

EM: Well, it is a bit complicated to describe oneself. I am passionate, a music lover. I definitely cannot live without music. Also, I am a good listener . I am doing my best to be available for the others; sometimes it's a bit difficult because I have my life: Family, job, but I do my best to be always there for the artists whenever they need me. 

5. What are the major criteria to be signed under your label?

EM: I must have a very good feeling on the tune. The quality of the sound is very important and it must be powerful. The track should generate something on you and touch you. It should fit the identity of the label. Sometimes it happens that the tune does not correspond to the imprint so I suggest the artists  another label and help them to be released on other imprints. But, definitely, the sound should be Heavy. 

6. Who are the artists you are proud of the most? 

EM: First of all, I shall mention Data Wave; a surprise encounter. There is a great alchemy between us and we work very well together. He is a hard worker, a music lover , a real talent, and his releases are always a big success. Then there is Sakpata; He is not very well known, but definitely a great artist. He works his samples by himself, creating all his sounds. This takes him a lot of time, but he is building a great sound bank samples with a tribal touch. Then, I shall mention FireFly. This remarkable duo played with Borgore and other huge artists and signed under a lot of labels. One is a rap producer and the other one mixes greatly; the 2 artists find themselves very well and the duo works perfectly. Finally, I shall speak about Mr Ours, a producer from Montpellier with a Glitch sonority; Definitely an artist to get known with a very interesting sound. We are working with him and  help him to get new followers.



7. What are the means you are using for promotion when you sign a track?

EM: When I sign a track, Facebook is the first social network I use: I announce the forthcoming release, post a teaser of the tune, work sometimes on the cover and the video. We definitely prepare the release by contacting other labels, doing our promo on Soundcloud, youtube channels, and sending the promotion list to our subscribers . The promo should be efficient and quick. We must create a data base fitting with the genre of the track. Communication is very important for the label.

8. What are the events you sponsor ?

EM: We work in partenership with Chwet , an international booking agency that works with the best electronic artists worldwide and create events with huge artists ( Trampa, Datsik, etc.) . 'Splash' for example has been one of the leading bass music parties in France.  We, as EM, do everything to get more visibility for the event. We bring our touch , we propose a guest mix to announce the event, we make photos, videos to realize after movies  We bring more communication on the event. Our objective is to get known by a large amount of people to create our network, and when  big and huge events like Animalz occur, we want to get known as a label in order to get a contract for one of our artists. 

9. How do you cope with the competition with other labels? 

EM:  There are labels who support you from the beginning and allow you to grow more and more. They are very inspiring and helpful. We can speak of competition and partnership at the same time because the competition is positive and enriching. We always learn from the others.   We have to be competitors for our artists as well by finding new techniques to grow bigger. We work harder and we develop as music does all the time. 

10. How do you find the artists you sign on your label?

EM: I listen to a lot of music but I have already an important sound data base. Also, the media chiefs are important because they spot new artists I don't know. If I like the tracks, I contact them directly and try to see if they are interested to work with us. We provide more public renown that sometimes, the artist may not have. 

11. What are the strengths of the label?

EM: To be open minded. We must work with different artists, keeping obviously in mind the identity of the label; Electro sound as well as all the domains of bass music. Also, we are always looking for the unique touch, the thing that will make the difference in the sound. 



12. What do you think of the bass music scene in France? 

EM: I must admit that there are more and more french artists in bass music which is very encouraging. Unfortunately,  bass music does not always have a good reputation.  There are some 'clichés' which still stick to this music. For example, recently  in France, some festivals have been cancelled because the authorities were afraid of negative excesses, like drugs and alcohol... We, labels, support the artists and we continue to fight to bring that music on the scene and to make it popular. People should understand that this kind of music is not synonym of drugs! We have to spread more this genre of music, to get more listeners and to do all what is possible to enhance the image of this great music. People should be open minded, and  understand the fact that this music does not generate violence, drugs nor all the negative stuff that we can hear all around. Music nor festivals are not a cause for drugs. 

13.  What is your musical path?

EM: When I was 15 years old, I was listening to Eminem; Then I listened to Hip Hop, French rappers (IAM, Akhenaton...), metal (all genres, ) and I discovered the english rock, to finally get to electro, dubstep and trap.

14. What is the signature you dream of to have on your label?

EM: Oh, so many... Probably , I would want to have one of the Kannibalen artists . I consider this label very Huge and I'm very fond of their sound. Definitely a big label I got inspired from and all the artists are excellent. It is very encouraging for us to see labels growing like that. We must work hard and bring about opportunities. 

15. What are your new challenges?

EM: To work hard for our forthcoming shows. We also must find out new bookings around the world, and we should be self-sufficient with the releases by producing the clips , promoting them, having some merch,  because all these things require money. We need to grow our crew and we hope to be bigger very soon. We are very confident for the future.



16. What is your typical day?

EM: I wake up at 7h00, then I check my emails. I either start listening to the new tunes people sent me or I do a lot of promo for the forthcoming releases. This should be quick and efficient. At 10h00, I go to  work and then, when getting back home in the evening,  I do some promo  and spend some time with my family . The balance between our private life and professional one  is very important. Hopefully,  I have the support of my family and I do my best to be with them as much as possible.

17. What are the forthcoming projects ?

EM: We have brand new forthcoming releases. Huge tunes are coming and I am thrilled about all these tracks. I am also creating a web site. There is also the Data Wave remix EP that is coming very soon. I am working on a  project, more precisely a show; It should happen once a month and we are about to invite big Labels (Black Label, Disciple) or Guests; but this is still a project and we hope  it is going to take shape very soon.

18: Any big Shout Out  to give?

EM: Definitely, there is a big Shout Out to Otodayo Records. A huge thank you for their amazing support they gave me since the beginning. I also want to thank the artists who worked with me and those who are still working with me , who support me and  trust me. Obvisously, a big thank you to all my supporters , family, friends, and all the followers. I feel so blessed for the continuous support. 


Make sure to follow EM on:



Comments