Interview with NIGHTBIRD



Such a remarkable and talented artist, with more than one string on his bow, Nightbird, the French producer, singer and guitar player is a complete and a dynamic artist with mature productions with dubstep, rock and metal influences. A real music lover, workaholic,  very creative and with powerful releases, making his own way, Nightbird, perfectly succeeds in transmitting his vibes, his emotions and feelings through his music. He is always pushing the limits, and improving his sound. I wanted to know more about him and about his perception of the music scene nowadays.



Hello Nightbird, really nice to meet such a talented artist as you are. I am totally in love with your music and discovered you lately and I was impressed by your massive sound. So much quality in your tracks! Would you like to introduce yourself for those who don't know you yet. 

My name is Alex, aka Nightbird, 29 years old, French musician . I started playing guitar since I was a kid. I am a producer too and I love combining dubstep and metal influences in my sound. 

What's the story behind the name 'Nightbird'?

It comes from a character in a British movie, a character whose name was 'Nightbird' and when I was 20 years old, I was a person of the night more than of a day and I identified myself to that character. I chose this name because it perfectly corresponds to my universe, and to my preference for gothic and dark movies, like those of Tim Burton. The night owl and bat side was something that related to me very much. 

Did you plan at an early age to make a carrer in music? How and when did you get into it?

I started playing guitar in Middle School; I also played drums, and my father was also doing a bit of music. I was educated with music since I was a kid, and I was lucky enough to develop my musical ear. He was listening to great artists so I grew up in listening these big artists as well. My musical education took shape in that way. And in Middle School, there was a band there, and they asked me to be part of this band, playing guitar and I can say that things started that way. I started singing as well in this band. It was an opportunity for me to try something new and that's how things started .




Can you tell us about your musical influences?

Mainly, my big influence is Linkin Park. The first album I had and that I was listening on repeat was theirs. They remain a big influence to me. I have also been influenced a lot by Bring Me The Horizon and lately, my influences were developed while listening to electronic music.

How did you get into production and how did all start for your career?

When I was 20 years old, I was discovering electronic, bass music and I started mixing  because I had friends who were mixing too. So that was something I was interested in and  I decided to try mixing, and choosing the tracks I wanted to play. At that time, I also organized parties with friends where I mixed a lot. I was not in the production yet, but still at that time, the idea was in my mind because this is what I wanted to do. It took a certain time to adapt because firstly, I was in a band and playing some gigs but at the same time, I had also to buy some instruments and starting mixing and producing.

How would you define your sound and what do you do to develop it?

Well, it's a combination of dubstep, metal, and rock . These are influences I grew up with . In my band, It was mostly metal and rock influences and then, I adopted these influences to dubstep. I remember listening to Prodigy , Modestep;  so I was influenced by them a lot. 
For  the past 2 years now , I work a lot, taking classes online , following tutorials, and I have a lot of friends who are doing music so I ask them for some advice, but a lot of online classes ,everyday, online training as well, to improve at the maximum my sound. On the other hand, I am a Live sound engineer as well, so I learn a lot in my work. 

What is a typical day with Nightbird?

In the morning, it's mostly online classes, working on the new techniques of sound design, then at midday, I take a break to relax, watching one of my favorite news and politics tv show; and from 14h00, I start producing.

You released the Big and the Massive 'Inner Journey' EP on Electronyze Me. Can you tell us a bit about the story of this EP?

It all started with self confidence and the direction I wanted to take for my sounds. At the beginning, I started working on 2 tracks which were consistent with my perception and direction I wanted to take for my music, and the message of my EP is mainly that...that is, to do things according to one own's choices, to one own's direction. I wanted to bring something different. I didn't know if people were going to like my music or not, but to me, It is really important to be consistent in terms of my own choices. With the first track of my EP 'Inner Journey', I wanted to bring this rock side with heavy guitar; and still, I didn't know if people like it or not but I totally and fully assumed my style; I also worked a lot on the collaborations with 8Er$ and Vanilla Trap with metal influences. Then, while realizing that I had 4-5 tracks in the same line, and deciding to to something really personal as shown in the title name of my EP, I decided to contact Electronyze me with whom I already worked before, as they signed a remix of mine few years ago, so I sent them my EP. They were really happy with my sound and they released it, and I am so happy with that.



Can you tell us about the projects you are working on and your future projects?

Right now, I am working on a remix for a metal band I love a lot, and I have a new track as well I am refining with a personal sound design, at all levels. Then, I will try to contact labels and send them my work. I really want to be signed on Kayzo's label because the style of the track fits perfectly the label. We will see. We cross fingers! 
For the future projects, well... I want to release a new EP; I am always pushing the boundaries, assuming my rock side with vocals, and combining styles. I already have a mix Live playing guitar but my dream is to start a new band,with a drummer, a bassist... that's my dream. My education has always been turned to the band side and that's really great. My biggest dream is to bring Nightbird in a live show with a drummer and a bassist. There is still a long way to go but I hope realizing my dream. 

Any collaboration dream?

I would love working with Phaseone who allowed me to assume my metal side in my production. It's a big influence to me, and I also want to work with  Kayzo . I love his sound These are the two artists I would definitely like to work with.

Any gigs in France?

I was mainly working on my productions lately, releasing tracks and my EP and  I am really happy because I have a great feedback from people who do like my music, and who do love the direction I am taking with my tracks. On the other hand, I am performing live from time to time, having  gigs but yes, I am definitely excited to have more shows here in France and abroad. Step by step, things are evolving and falling into place.  

What is your favorite program in production?

Ableton and lately Serum 

Is dubstep significant in France? 

The problem of electronic music in France is that there is a big influence of the French Touch. When we talk about electronic music, we always think of David Guetta and Daft Punk; people are not so open to bass music. It is still complicated to organize bass parties, it is difficult to have gigs and to have appreciation and support . Some french artists went abroad because it is really complicated here for bass music. I don't know if things are going to change, but for now, there is not a great interest in bass music here. People do listen to bass music in festivals or in big events, but they are not listening to that music all the time.  There is a lot to do to change mentalities. 

What are you the most proud of?

Definitely, being consistent while working on my projects, because they reflect my perception, my thinking. I am also very lucky to combine  music and my work. To me, succeeding in doing both things is really great. I am really fortunate to do both. And that's awesome. It is not easy everyday but this is a personal choice. 

What is your biggest dream?

To be able to live off my music. To have credit and appreciation of my work, and to do a lot of gigs.

What is your biggest challenge?

Not giving up! To move forward. Always! It is not easy every day, but we shall never give up on our dreams.

What makes you different and unique as an artist?

All my background... bringing the dubstep - metal in my sound . This is my culture  I  grew up with.  I do everything by myself, I record all my guitar parts, and when I was 15 years old, I was already in a band, and I organized parties and my first festival. Music has always been a real choice from the beginning and I grew up in that culture. Organisation, experience and the fact I worked on many festivals for about 10 years now helped me a lot. 



What inspires you? 

Life inspires me in general; melancholy inspires me a lot as well. I am inspired by everything in life.

What are your favorite festivals?

I am working in festivals , so I know all the different aspects of festivals, but I can say that  Tomorrowland is very attractive.  I like SZIGET festival as well. I love the idea of combining several activities like listening to music and doing sport.

Your latest track 'Runaways' has been signed on Play Me Records. How did you approach the label?

When I finished my track, I decided to contact Play Me Records because I knew the direction of my sound fitted the label, so I sent them my track . At that time, my EP has been already released. When they heard the track, they asked me who was singing on it  and I answered that it was me. They liked it very much and they decided to release it! That's how I got signed by them. 

Define Music.

Music is emotion, feelings, a way of transmitting a message. It is a therapy! 


Follow Nightbird






Comments