INTERVIEW With ALIENIZE





Outstanding producer, powerful guitar player, perfectionist and 

workaholic, the Canadian artist Alienize is such a great talent! 

Dynamic and creative, with exceptional and high level productions, 

he is constantly pushing the limits! I let you discover his 

universe!






Hello Alienize, can you introduce yourself for those who don't know you yet?

My name is Maxim and I am from Sorel - Tracy (Quebec) in Canada. I am 28 years old and a father of a beautiful boy.

What is the story behind the name 'Alienize'?

Alienize comes from my fascination for everything related to aliens, flying saucers, and to me, Alienize means 'I alienate you' as if I bewitch people with my music.

How and when did you get to music?
Since I was 10 years old, I started playing guitar, precisely heavy metal , some Metallica style, and until I was 18, I didn't like dance music. It was like a war between metal and pop music. One day, a friend of mine, Gab Coté played me Skrillex 's song 'First of the years' in 2011.  OMFG...What the hell is that??? So much energy!  Such intensity! Metal and sounds I have never heard before... So I started checking how to make these sounds and I came across Skrillex tutorial with the Ableton software and that was the moment I wanted to mix dubstep with metal. 


What are your musical influences?

Definitely Korn 'Get Up' featuring Skrillex; Zomboy, and in 2015, I met Snails and he was the one who opened my eyes to this nasty sound design. 

How would you define your style?

I would say metalstep . I really want to emphasize on the guitar with this metal side, and drop dubstep to create metalstep. 

What is a typical day with Alienize?

I am the most productive in the morning with some coffee! Also, I have a little boy who requires a lot of energy and love and I work full time so the days go by very quickly.




What are the main elements for you for production?

First, I love producing in the morning. I also watch a lot of videos and going to shows that inspire me a lot. 

Few months ago, you did an incredible remix for Snails' 'Feel The Vibe' and you won the contest. Can you tell us more about this amazing story?

I have been so surprised! Snails sent me a message on Instagram the day of unveiling the winner of the contest. At the moment, I didn't understand what was going on, and in the evening I received an email telling me that I won the contest . There were also 2 songs to remix and we had to chose one and finally there were 2 winners and I won the bonus. I was so proud of myself because I dare to produce in my way and to put my guitar on the sound because my aim was to make a metalstep remix and I wasn't sure at all about it but I did won and I am so happy for that. 





Few days ago, you released the big and massive track 'Machine Gun' on Electronyze Me! What is the story of this track and how did you approach the Label? 

I owe the contact to Charles Rodrigue, a very good friend of mine who was in contact with the label. When they heard the track, they loved it and they signed it without any hesitation. Once again, for this track, I dared to put my guitar on the sound, used my metal side, and a big guitar solo because to me, guitar solos are important as it's next level in production. 'Machine Gun' is born in one single day and the sound is like a huge alien energy. 




What are the projects you are working on and your future ones?

I am working on my EP right now , with guitar , huge drops and bringing a lot of melody. 

What are you the most proud of?

Definitely, my family: My little boy and my wife. This family stability, consistency and balance gives me energy to make music.

Any dream collaboration?

I would love to collaborate with Snails because my metal side and his froggy side would give such a intense energy to the sound. The idea he would contact me for a collaboration would be such a great honor and I am totally confident about my production.

Any gigs , live sets in Canada and abroad?

I have done several shows here in Quebec and I do really like how people react to my music because I mix live and play live guitar. After each of my performances, people come to see me telling me how original and great my performance was. I also mix songs from the years 1980-1990 because I do love the music of those years. As far as performing abroad, I would be very happy to have gigs but I haven't had any offer yet.

Your favorite program when producing. 

Ableton, without any hesitation! I am using it for 8 years now and so happy with it! I like the interface, the speed when making automations and how well organized it is. Stock plugin are very efficient and powerful. 

What is the best place to play Dubstep in Montreal?

The Belmont! It's intimate , the energy is incredible!

What do you think of the EDM music scene nowadays? 

The more time goes by, the more extraordinary it is. It is very hard to get in there because of the great number of artists. However, there are different shows, with a certain variety and very well organized offering excellent and amazing events. 

What is your biggest dream?

My biggest dream is to succeed in life , not just in music. To do everything I love while being with my family.

What is your biggest challenge?

Well, my biggest challenge is to be signed on Snails label Slugz Music because I identify myself  a lot to this label.


What is the Top 3 of your favorite tracks?

Skrillex 'Turmoil' / Riot 'Overkill' / Krewella 'Alive'

What is the Top 3 of your favorite producers?

PhaseOne is by far an excellent producer; Sam lamar, wow, what a sound design; Snails for his originality.

What makes you different and unique from the other producers?

Playing my melodies with guitar and my 80's side in my guitar riffs. That makes a difference among the producers in the Montreal scene. 

Where do you get inspiration from?

I often get inspired by the songs of the day.

What are your favorite festivals?

Ile Sonic is really crazy! Lost land is the perfect festival for me and I hope playing there one day!

What are your other passions?

I am a butcher and I can say that my profession is my passion. I also love 'true stories' movies.

What can we expect for 2020? 

To release my EP and we will certainly remember it because this is gonna be huge! I am also preparing a video clip. 

Define music.

Music is my way out of anxiety.



Follow Alienize:









Comments