Interview of the week: Entering the world of the rising star SAY WORD

 



The so talented trap and bass producer Say Word hailing from Denver, Colorado, known for the exceptional quality of his sound, the power and the energy sparkling from his music is a real passionate and hard working artist, who always pushes the limits and taking his sound to a higher level! With SAY WORD around, you can be sure that he is always bringing Fire with his tracks! I had the pleasure to exchange few words with him and to know more about his debuts as a producer, his work, and to get a glimpse of the music scene through his eyes! 


How would you best introduce yourself?

Pretty basic! Hi, I'm Cody!

What is the story behind Say Word?

I guess the story behind the name is from my hip-hop background.Before Say Word, I was heavy into turntablism; party rocking mainly. Pretty much shredding through multi genres of party music and incorporating turntablist techniques like scratching, chopping juggling etc. Electronic music has been one of my favorite genres since I heard 'Bomb Scare' by Two Bad Mice or maybe it was Josh Wink's 'Higher State of Consciousness'. Although Cutting, Scratching was my thing. You would still find me at the hardest raves at 5 am. I am still doing my hip-hop thing and I have had some great successes. I discovered a genre of music at an after hour's club in Denver: It was Dubstep. I was instantly hooked and consumed as much of it as I could.I felt like this was the fresh of breath air the electronic culture needed. Still, I didn't attempt to make dubstep but I was 100% an avid listener. Then, when Hybrid/Hard Trap became a thing, I was sold! That was it! That was me! I was constantly torn between genres and then I found one I could express all of me! So 6 years ago, I made my first Hybrid Trap Mix tape and it has been on ever since. About 3 years into it, I finally felt confident enough to start building a name for myself. That's when I became Say Word. It wasn't anything crazy meaningful (at the time) when I came up with the name. I was drunk with my lil big bro Dillon at a Say My Name show, and I said "Hey, I'm gonna call myself Say Word". 

What got you into music?

My Mom booked a DJ at my 13th Birthday and he threw down! I think she was just looking for a cheap DJ and got a sick 'hood dude' DJ. He was cutting, scratching and mixing it up. Fire! I wish I could find him today!

Did you plan at an early age to make music your career?

I did! I was DJing parties at 17 years old. At that time, most people didn't know what a turntable even was, so I had a huge advantage at roller rinks and clubs.

What are your musical influences?

The X-ecutioners and Invisibl Skratch Picklz were my first official inspiration to music. They opened for Hieroglyphics and I was blown away! As a kid, I would definitely say Nas,BIG and The Roots, Deee-Lite, LTJ Bukem, Nine Inch Nails, Clutch, Doc Martin and Josh Wink were my music moldings. 

What is a typical day of work for Say Word?

Back to back cups of coffee, 3 blunts and lots of weird sounds.

What is Say Word's sound and what do you do to develop it?

I feel like my sound reflects a lot of who I am , how I am and where I came from.I feel like my sound naturally has this hip-hop edge to it and reflects my love of turntablism. At the same time, being versatile with different genres, behind the bass, if you will. My process has no rhyme or reason and to be honest, I break a tons of 'rules of production. Really, when I stopped looking at it as such a specific process, that's when I really started making progress.

Can you tell us a bit more about your production process?

I usually start with a synthesized wave table and manipulate it till I make something I like. Then, I usually move on to my drums. Next, I'll start making my 808 followed by my 808 top harmonic layer.I'm pretty much a stock boy when it comes to post processing. I think Ableton knocks it out the park with their stock production tools. I do use a few 3rd party plugs for processing but not a whole lot.

What makes you different and unique as a producer?

I feel like maybe my coming from 'the other side of the tracks' might put a different edge of what you typically see. I always try to keep my synths and bass unique to me. But honestly, nothing. I am that same kid, struggling to get heard , putting blood sweat and tears into a niche market that we love. 

Who are the artists of the moment you are listening to?

Oh Man! I listen to so much. At the moment, I'm pretty hyped on Nitepunk and have had Dirty Audio's new EP INFERNO on repeat.

Any dream collaboration?

LAXX, LAXX and LAXX! 

We are living a very difficult time with the pandemic. How do you cope with all the situation? How this year has been for you as an artist?

I was pretty much a home body to begin with, so the time with family has been great. Definitely getting extra production time in too. I was cut short on a tour when the pandemic hit, so that really sucked! But so far so good! People seem to still listen to Say Word even outside of the club. 

What have you been missing the most this year?

Parties and food! 

Due to pandemic, festivals, venues and clubs are at a standstill for the moment. Many DJ's-Producers were doing Live stream. Any forthcoming  live streams?

I 'm gonna have one on December 2nd! I gotta put a set together. Follow my socials for more details. 

How do you see the future of the music scene?

I think it will be fine and as great as it has always been. Music and gatherings are in our nature and essence. 

You have marked a real turning point with your latest and huge projects, dropping 'Break Out' on one of my favorite labels Emengy and 'Gone Tomorrow' on Hybrid Trap. Can you tell us a little bit more about your experience with Emengy and about your releases? How did these projects come about?

I literally can't say enough good things about Emengy. They have grown to be family to me. Nick, at Emengy, discovered my songs Robots and Demons a while back. He hit me up for some unreleased music. We ended up signing a song of mine called Pxrty Mnstr to the Emengy Bass Dreams Compilation. From then on, I pretty much just bugged the life out of Nick until they loved me... LOL (Just kidding). I'm still working with Emengy on future projects and we may or may not have plans for a Say Word EP. I'm completely happy with Emengy and being as dope as they are, they support me working with other labels. Hybrid Trap is amazing too. Even if they don't sign a song of mine, they always support with promo and are very responsive. Definitely hoping to do more work with them in the future. I actually have a demo I'm about ready to fire off to them. So, Zack, if you're reading this, I've got some heat headed for your inbox. 

You will be part of the Huge NIGHT, Volume 2 compilation on Subsidia Records that is dropping Dec 1st. How did you approach the label and what is your feeling to be part of this massive compilation along great artists?

I first got in touch with Excision when he listed the song 'Buried' I made with High Zombie on his Excision selections playlist. After the shock wore off, I emailed him a quick 'Thank You' and he asked for more music.I feel accomplished and I am thrilled! However, I remain very humble because there is so much work to be done. This is only the beginning. I live by the words " Treat your first like your last and your last like your first".

What are the projects you are working on and what can we expect for the future?

Dec 1st- A release on Subsidia Records.

Dec 11th, I will be featured on Chattoor's EP.

Dec 21st is a Huge Emengy release.

Definitely some Heat to come in January.

What is the next step for Say Word?

Working on an EP.

What are your new challenges?

Every new song is a new challenge.I'm really gonna push the limits on an EP, so I'm expecting some new challenges with that. 

What are you most proud of?

I'm proud of paying dues and mostly teaching myself.

What is your favorite venue or festival to perform at when things go back to normal?

Anywhere that's popping!

What are your hopes for 2021?

Universal peace, love, unity and landing a tour.

If you have to make a TOP 5 of your favorite artists, who would they be?

I just can't but...

LAXX

Nitepunk

Skrillex

DJ Snake

RL Grime

Any shout-outs?

Vince at Emengy! Excision and Subsidia Records, Hybrid Trap, Smiles Only and most importantly, MY DOGZ High Zombie, Whax and Chatoor. These three had a big hand in my success. 

Define Music.

The deepest reflection of who we are, transmitted through sound.


Follow Say Word on:

Facebook

Soundcloud

twitter

Instagram

Spotify


Comments