INTERVIEW : GETTING INTO THE WORLD OF TOXIC


 


The very talented and hard-hitting bass music producer TOXIC is making a name for himself in the bass music scene. In addition to being a producer with an immense talent, he is also a remarkable musician who plays multiple instruments. 

A real music lover, TOXIC keeps evolving his sound and pushing the limits! I had the pleasure to exchange few words with him and to know more about  his music. 


Hi Toxic, thank you for taking the time to chat with me. Super stoked to have you! What got you into music?

Music is my way to decompress and release energy, whether negative or positive. It is my calling and what helps me feel happy. I have played different instruments like piano, guitar, steel drums and even saxophone and clarinet in high school. It feels natural to be at a point in my life to create music. 

What are your musical influences?

Skrillex, Iron Maiden , Wooli, Kompany and PhaseOne.

How do you start your day of producing ?

Normally, I would start by sound designing something weird. During this process, I will get different ideas of how this track can go and then pick one and stick with it.

How would you describe your sound?

I wouldn't  know how  to describe my sound because my sounds can be different but my style is similar. Funtcase  called me a baby of PhaseOne and Kompany . 

Can you tell us more about your production process?

Just having fun and if there are 'rule's then breaking them. My production process is very different because I feel that my work turns out to be accidental at times. 

Your latest and massive track ELIMINATION is pure madness! Can you tell us a bit more  about this track?

This project started off with a completely different drop  and I decided to take it in a different direction to make it heavier and stompy. My friend helped me choose the vocals from Tokyo Ghoul. It's one of my favorite projects so far.


Who are the artists of the moment you are listening to? 

Demoneyez and CAZIUM.

Are there any collaborations in the works?

Yes, but it's a secret. 

We are living a very difficult time with this pandemic. What have you been up to during the quarantine? How do you cope with all the situation? How this year has been for you as an artist?

I have been working from home for my day job. It takes up most of my day. Apart from that, I have been  working on new  music, lifestreams and have been working out to help  with stress. So far, 2021 has been a good year and it is only going to get better. 

2020 and 2021 are the years of lifestreams. Can you describe your own experience in playing lifestreams? Are you planning playing new ones? 

Playing lifestreams have been great. I really appreciate the thought that  goes into organizing these events to help cope with not being able to go to live events. I will be playing a direct support set to LOSTINDEATH  for Bassjamevents stream on March 12th. 

What have you been missing the most in 2020?

I miss going to live  shows and meeting new people at raves and festivals. You don't know them but in one moment, everyone feels like a joined family.

How do you see the future of the bass music scene?

We are just getting started. there is so much room to grow this scene. 

What are your new challenges?

I work  a full time job so it can be very challenging to make time and balance out of my work life, music and personal life.

What are your favorite venue or festival to perform at when things get back to normal?

I would love to play at  Ever After or Lost lands. 

What are your hopes for 2021? 

My main hope/goal is to play my first live set  in multiple cities including in my hometown , Toronto. 

If you have to make a Top 5 of your favorite artists, who would they be?

I have a lot of favorite artists so this will be tough but in no specific order. It would be, PhaseOne, Kompany, Wooli, BadkLaat and DemonEyez.

Define music.

Anything that breathes life into your body that allows you to express yourself, feel emotions, uplift you through sounds, words and vibrations. 





Follow Toxic

Soundcloud      Facebook    Instagram     twitter   Spotify






Comments