INTERVIEW: DIVE INTO AN EXCEPTIONAL SONIC JOURNEY AND FEEL A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE WITH ELECTRONIC BASS ARTIST TRIS

 



The electronic bass scene is bursting with incredible talents, and there are some who definitely stand out from the crowd, distinguishing themselves by their unique approach and vision to music. The brilliant up-and-coming bass electronic artist TriS is part of this category. He shows exceptional production skills, gaining the recognition from the leaders in the industry. He keeps evolving and refining his sound, taking it to a higher level. His unique vision and distinctive approach to music make him a stand out artist we must definitely reckon with in the electronic bass music scene, combining dynamic sounds with gritty basslines along with cinematic elements and eerie tones to create a high level of excitement and intensity for his heavy-hitting drops. Each song is a journey bringing out various emotions and moods. I connected with him and wanted to know more about him, his sound, his upcoming projects and more. While reading the interview, enjoy listening to some of his amazing tracks. 


Hi TriS, thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me. I'm super excited to know more about you and your music. In few words, who is behind TriS? Can you tell us more about the TriS project? What is the story behind the artistic name TriS?

"Hey, thanks for having me! I'm Peyton. I'm 25 years old Critical care Nurse based in Columbus, OH that produces music in his free time. TriS is really just a name that I release any music i make on. It doesn't have  specific boundaries, just encompasses my taste in music, and it is a means to share my creations with the world.  The name actually comes from  a historically latino-based fraternity I was part of and helped found on my college campus. We had something called  a line name, which is a name that we choose or create to be officially known as in the fraternity. My line name was 'Trispeto', so TriS is a shortened version that includes the important bits of the personal meaning". 

How did you get into production?

"I just really liked EDM, and I thought I'd be a fun hobby to get into.  I downloaded a trial version of Ableton and never looked back".

What is your vision and approach to music?

"The thing I love about electronic music is that you can really create an entire world in a song. I envision each song as an audio landscape and a journey for the listener. Creating new worlds/environments and experiences is what drives my approach".

What are your musical influences ?

"I got a lot of inspiration from cinematic music because of the atmosphere it creates. I strive to make music with a large evolving atmosphere that really is impactful. I have listened to a lot of rock in the past, so that definitely plays a role too. All music in general has some sort of influence though". 

How would you describe your sound and how do you develop it?

"I'd say my sound is obviously heavily focused on bass. But more specifically, I like to describe it as dark, cinematic atmospheres that build into heavy, in-your-face, evolving drops with heavily distorted sustained basses. I develop it really just by playing around and trying to make each one better than the last". 

Tell us a bit about your production process?

"It depends on the song, but I normally start from scratch by playing around in a synthesizer, usually Serum. A lot of times I will start by creating atmospheric elements. That really gives me tons of inspiration. Most of my production stem purely from lots of experimentation with Serum and audio effects. I typically start at the beginning of a song, and work my way through it based on feeling".

Each of your productions is an incredible journey and we live an exceptional experience with your music. Can you tell us what experiences are defining your sound?

"Honestly, just the experience of making the song and the inspiration I'm getting from the sounds I'm making are what end up defining it all. The general ups and downs of life tend to determine what mood the song will be at the time I make it, then the rest comes from the flow of the creation process".



Any dream collaboration?

"I would love to do a 1788-L collab or lick". 

We went through hard times because of the pandemic. Can you tell us if the situation affected your creation process and how have you been dealing with it?

'Well, with my job and being a massive homebody as it is, I was thankfully living my  normal life  for the most part. I hadn't been producing for long when  it all started, so it definitely gave me the opportunity to focus  more on learning". 

How would you best describe yourself as an artist?

"Oh, that's a tough one. I guess experimental and without bounds . I usually don't have a clear vision  when going into a new song and let the process take  control to determine the direction it goes. That allows my creativity to really flourish through experimentation".




You've got incredible releases this year and your latest track Warcall has been a huge success. It has been included in the massive BLAKTRACKS II compilation album. Can you tell us more about this track and how HYBRID BLAK appoached you.

"Thank you! For warcall I actually had the main bass along with the drum pattern sitting around in a project for a while and knew I had to do something with it. I decided to go in the direction of something very cinematic and tribal-like while still being very aggressive. So I ended up finishing it, and shortly after is when HYBRID BLAK contacted me. The label was in contact with Moris Blak to find good fits for the album, and he reached out to me explaining what they were looking for and that they had liked my recent releases. I sent them that track , and they liked it enough to include it"!




What are your new challenges?

"Right now, I think I'm at a point where I'm focusing more  on getting cleaner mixes and the actual musicality of the songs. It's a constant learning process that never stops, so I'm really trying to focus on making unique and memorable songs". 

What can we expect for the forthcoming year?

"More releases! I'm planning on doing more sets as well, hopefully live".

If you have to make a top 3 of your favorite artists , who would they be?

"There is so many great artists it's tough to pick, but probably 1788-L, Slooze, and Voliik. They all  really stand out to me.. Honorable mention to OIÜ as well". 

How do you see the future of the electronic bass music scene?

"Lots of diversity in sound. Production is a lot more accessible these days, so there are tons of producers out there now. Naturally that means there are going to be lots of new ideas floating around. But unfortunately, there's always going to be  the big trend genres that come by and are what is primarily played out at clubs and festivals. My hope is that people are opened up to the lesser known styles enough that clubs will have more diverse artists".

You are also a big fan of video games. have you ever made a sound in this domain and if not yet, would you be interested in the project?

"I have not, but I think that  would be awesome to do".

What does music symbolize for you?

"It symbolizes life really. Music encompasses all the moods you could ever have. It can make you feel a certain way, or it can hit the spot if you're already feeling something. It brings people together , creates solidarity, and embraces community. Even as I said before, it can create worlds of it's own in a single song. It's such an amazing part of life". 






Follow TriS on:





Comments