Interview with TenGraphs


Throughout this interview, I discovered a GREAT artist in all sense of the term! His generosity, his hard work, his kindness, his maturity, his respect , his passion for music, and many positive and amazing qualities that TenGraphs has, make him an Exceptional, a Unique, a Huge and Great producer! He transports us in his universe,  and we are always getting into a new dimension with him! Definitely, he is reaching another level with his sound , surpassing himself all the time and excelling in his music!  It has been a great privilege to make this interview with him and to know more about his work. 


1. You are a Huge Canadian producer, hailing from Montreal, played alongside big artists like Apashe, Dr.Ozi, Code:Pandorum and more; You are getting strong support from an amount of them, When and How did you get to Music and How did you get involved to producing?

I first started playing guitar at age 11. I was already listening to metal and drum and bass at a young age and I started producing and Djing drum and bass, then dubstep later on, about seven years ago. 

2. What is the story behind the name TenGraphs ?

It's always funny when people ask me this. As a kid, I was constantly teased because of my unique last name. So when came the time to find an artist name, I simply took one of the puns kids used to make fun of me and translated it in English, literally to TenGraphs. 

3. Did you plan at your early age to make a career in Music?

I would say around the age of 15, my dream of becoming a professional musician was born. But it wasn't until maybe 4 years ago that I chose to take the path full on. 

4. What were you playing before starting producing?

Mostly metal and I used to spin drum and bass and some hip-hop. 

5. What are your musical influences?

To name a few, hardcore metal, classical music, cinematic music, electronic music, pretty much all across the spectrum. Pretty much anything that is of good quality in terms of composition.

6. Who is your biggest inspiration? And why?

I have a few names that come to mind, but Code:Pandorum really was my biggest. His project showed me that what I was imagining in my head in terms of crosses between genres were possible. One of the many reasons why I say he mentored me. 

7. How you would define your sound? What is (are) your style(s)? How did you develop it?

If I had to describe my sound, it'd be a rip-your-face-off feeling. But I have to say, I've only recently discovered my sound, and by recently I mean only a few weeks ago. After spending years working on drum and bass, I brought parts of that into my music, along with metal, because that's really the initial goal, is to bring an aggressive feel to it while keeping a groove and momentum like hip-hop and drum and bass. Then came dubstep. After learning from Code:Pandorum and Lord Swan3x, my sound evolved into a very harsh, aggressive and heavy sound. But I wasn't quite where I wanted to be in my sound. That's when I started hanging out with PsychoticMinds and Krimer. I've learned a ton from watching them produce about general flow of a track and thinking outside the box, which in turn led to me finding this new sound I've keeping safely locked for now. 



8. What kind of message do you want to convey through your music?

I dont' think my music itself has a message. I just make music I enjoy. But as an artist, I do try and spread unity and collaboration, and especially love throughout the scene, because God knows that's what it needs to survive and grow. 

9. What does music provides you everyday?

It's my motivation, my escape and my passion. It's really what drives me on a daily basis.

10. Where do get inspiration from?

Movies, especially Horror movies. Also some video games, and mainly from having a very creative mind. I play Dungeons & Dragons a lot, so fantasy worlds really fascinate me and I try to portray different aspects of them through my music.

11. Are you very demanding with yourself when producing?

Always. I don't leave projects unfinished , and when I start something, I don't release it until it's the best it can be. 

12. Is there something you don't allow yourself to do in music? Do you set any limits?

Give up. Music literally saved my life, and I've learned through pain and hard work that you can achieve anything with the right mindset. My only limit, is my imagination.

13. What are the main elements and conditions for you for producing?

Structure. The more structured my sessions are, the more productive I am. The only exception being when I am experimenting, but I do set myself timelines when doing so. Also, another important condition is discipline. Even if I don't necessarily want to jump in the studio, I do it and keep going until I get the mood.

14. What is a typical day of production with TenGraphs?

Alone, I tend to lock myself up for hours and write constantly, taking very short breaks to smoke and get a bit of fresh air or food. When I'm with others, it's not as serious, because collaborating or working side by side with someone is only fun if you actually hang out at the same time.

15. Do you have any particular creative process while producing?

Not specifically. I just go with the flow of each track I make.

16. What is (are) your favorite programs in producing?

I produce in Logic Pro X, I've been using Logic for roughly 4-5 years. And in terms of VSTs, lately, I've been using Serum a ton, as well as Argotlunar, which is a granulator (for those who don't know it, definitely worth checking out, it's a free one too).

17. What makes you different and unique as a producer?

I'd say that it has to be my general ideas in regards to arrangement and atmosphere. I'm very sensitive to the atmosphere of tracks, because that's really what gives a track its impact.



18. What do you like the most when playing live?

This is a hard one. There's so much. I guess seeing people having a good time with me and going crazy on my tunes. Oh, and moshpits.

19. You have been releasing many massive tracks on big label from the beginning, and you are the co-owner of the huge label Crowsnest Audio with Code:Pandora and Lord swan3x. First, how the label was born?

Crowsnest Audio is Sven's (Code:Pandorum) baby. He came up with the idea and got Tyler (Lord Swan3x) to help him spearhead it. When I joined, it was just to help out at first. But I fell in love with the project and became a part of the team with them.

20. What is your objective with this label and what direction are you using to develop it more?

I was lucky enough to learn some tricks from Kannibalen Records by watching them grow. Many of their ideas in terms of their branding strategies are what we were using without noticing it. I guess you could say we're aiming to become a symbol and pioneer of dark, heavy bass music.

21. The number of massive releases from Huge artists on your label is so impressive! What is the key to be signed under your label?

The key? Quality production, and unique sound. When we receive demos, we want to have our faces melt. Sven and I had that happen to us once with Sudden Death's 'Party Song' which was released on last year's Kill List on Halloween.

22. Is there any chance to hear soon a 'Crowsnest Audio Album' featuring the artists you are signing?

Speaking of the Kill List, every Halloween, we're going to be releasing a compilation. Stay tuned for more info on that!

23. Is there any competition between the labels? if yes, how do you cope with that?

Yes and no. In a sense, this is business. We choose to approach it from that point of view by putting out only the best music. But we support other labels, Prime Audio and Bassweight Records come to mind here. 

24. Coming back to you now, what are the projects you are working on and what can we expect for the future?

Expect collabs with some big names. And maybe another EP in a while. Until then, I'll be releasing a lot of free music.

25. When is the forthcoming tour with you? 

Good question. When I know, you'll know I guess. I'm not necessarily planning a tour just yet, because I still want to get people to know my sound and know me first. But there is talk of a Crowsnest Tour... It wasn't just an April Fool's joke.

26. Are there any gigs planned so far for the end of this year and in 2017?

I'm off to Wausau, Wisconsin on September 3rd for a benefit show for someone who has cancer. Then it's back here in Montreal on the 17th for Drop in Bass hosted by 193 Records on my birthday. And then, it's off to Paris for the Drop in Bass on September 30th with the Disciple takeover from 193 Records. Oh, also a special Crowsnest showcase in Montreal in October. But that's not announced yet. 

27. What is your favorite venue or festivals to perform at? Why?

Valhalla Sound Circus this year back to back with Lord Swan3x was amazing. I just love that festivals vibe. But Paris though...That's going to be something.

28. What is your biggest dream?

A scene where drugs, ego and hate are inexistent. I've lost too many friends, and hurt too many because of these things. And I think it's time to change.

29. What are your new challenges? Either in music, in your life or both.

Lack of time. I wish days lasted 48 hours. Then I'd have time to do everything I need. Also, I've been 9 months clean, but drug addiction has been a huge challenge in the past years. It's hindered me a lot and caused me many problems. Really glad that's the past.

30. What is your Top 5 of tracks?

I can never answer these appropriately. There's too many. But if I had to pick 5 right now, these would be:
1- Code:Pandorum- Inquisition.
2- Midnight Tyrannosaurus- A Madman's Guide to the Wasteland.
3- Noisia- Sinkhole.
4. Sudden Death & Lux & Code:Pandorum-From The Grave.
5- Soberts & Lux & PsychoticMinds- Genesis

31. The artwork of your albums and tracks is so amazing. This is definitely a meticulous work and all the time, the covers are just impressive! Are you the one who sets the idea of what you want on the cover or do you let a total freedom to the designer?

I gave a few pointers as to what I wanted, but Architekt really had almost complete freedom to do what he wanted. He did some amazing work on the artwork for my EP.



32. You have collaborated with many great artists so far. is there anyone you still want to collaborate with?

Besides the ones I'm currently working on, Midnight Tyrannosaurus would be my #1 pick.

33. What is the most difficult part in collaborations? What kind of things you should take into account and cope with?

Starting a project. Having something already started before collaborating really helps.

34. What is the project you are the most proud of?

A track called ' Blindsight' that I recently finished, and probably my two collabs with Code:Pandorum.

35. What do you think of the music scene nowadays and how do you see its future?

There's a ton of positive and negative aspects to it. But one thing I wish was different was the drug issues. That really has to change if the scene is going to grow in a positive way.

36. Define Music.

Music is a flow of energy that represents one person's emotions or ideas and is interpreted differently by each recipient, creating different feelings for each one. 


Make sure to follow TenGraphs in:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TenGraphs/?ref=ts&fref=ts&qsefr=1
Souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/tengraphs

Comments

  1. Ihave the pleasure to know this guy on a personal level and he is one of the coolest dude i know. Love this guy for all he is!! Rock 'on Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waouw Marc, your dream has come true! You are so gifted and passionnate! Go on with spreading your great message : a scene where drug, hate and ego are banned! Only the love of music....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment