Interview with MCVC


It's always amazing to see young talented producers devoted to music with a great passion nourishing them all the time! That is a perfect evidence that with will, determination, energy, hard work and of course talent, you get to realize your projects, and accomplish the things you want for your life. That's obviously a path that is not always so easy but as I said, with determination and hard work, the impossible becomes possible. MCVC is such a remarkable Montreal based producer with creativity, talent, daring to do things and always pushing the limits of his sound. I wanted to know more about him and his opinion about the music scene nowadays.




Dubstrapn'bass:  Can you introduce yourself for those who don't know you yet?

MCVC: My name is Vincent; I'm 22 years old; I'm a dubstep producer for almost 4 years and I'm also the head promoter for JesusDied4Dubstep. I'm from Montreal, Canada and no, I don't live in an igloo.

Dubstrapn'bass: When and How did you get to Music?

MCVC: When I was 9 years old, my father bought me a drum and I really fell in love with that instrument. Played some for 6 years before I had to sell it and it's probably what gave me a good sense of beat even though I had no music theory when I started producing. 

Dubstrapn'bass: Did you plan at your early age to make from music your career?

MCVC: Not at all and still today, I'd say I'm doing music only by passion. If the opportunity to do career in music showed itself, I'd probably seize it like anyone but not really planning from it.

Dubstrapn'bass: What were you playing before starting producing?

MCVC: So many styles: Rap, Rock, Punk, Metal but mainly dubstep and it was fascinating me to not understand how the sounds were made. If only today I could hear the music again like I was before I started producing, I'd be so happy to know that feeling again. It's really not the same thing listening to music when you know how it's made. The magic gets lost a little.

Dubstrapn'bass:  What are your musical influences? and who is (are) your biggest inspiration?

MCVC: For me inspiration can truly come from nowhere. Most of the time, I'm at work and something pops up in my mind out of nowhere. Then it obsesses me the rest of the day till I can finally go home and expulse it out. The artists to which I identify the most are AstralOne, Code:Pandorum, Aeonphaze, Lektrique, Kadaver, Traax and mostly Ctwo. All of these artists are so different but all have the same motus: To make their things as unique as possible and that's the beauty of our art. Ctwo truly is my biggest inspiration because I always admired the amazing quality of his arrangements of ambiance as well as his melodies which transport us to an unknown universe. I'm so happy I had the chance to collaborate with him on our single 'The Fourth Kind'. 

Dubstrapn'bass: How did you get involved to producing?

MCVC: At 14 years old, I discovered Audacity (a program for sound editing and mixing). At the moment, it really was for fun. I was chopping songs off and placing them one over the other. The kind of thing I'd never want anyone to listen to today. But then, the envy to do my own thing became more and more persistent in my mind and eventually started to produce. My friends were always telling me that instead of doing shitty mix on Audacity I should use my creativity to develop my own sound. 

Dubstrapn'bass: How would you define your sound? What is (are) your style(s)? How did you develop it?

MCVC: My style is to not have any style. I'm the kind of guy who'll probably never do the same song twice like many artists do. They see something done well and they recreate it over and over again. I always want to push my musical barrier. Create new sounds all the time, new melodies, new structures... Sure I have my 'signature' sounds that I've developed over the years that I like to use in every track to give them a little MCVC touch. Some big artists already told me that this is probably the reason I'd never get my name out there but I don't really care; I prefer doing music for me rather than doing the same thing that worked one time. 




Dubstrapn'bass: What are the main elements and conditions for you for producing?

MCVC: I need good concentration and often for me, if the project starts with too many issues, I already know that it might be a hard challenge to make it a good one. I prefer when things are going fluidly.

Dubstrapn'bass: What is a typical day of production with MCVC?

MCVC: Most of the time, it's me coming back home and going straight away to my computer to expulse all the things I have on mind. But if I'm lucky enough and I have a full day to produce , I usually take many breaks because when you listen to the same song over and over again, things that sounded good 1 hour ago now sound a little weird. So you don't want to lose the perspective by getting hearing fatigue.

Dubstrapn'bass: Is there any particular creative process while producing and do you have any favorite programs in producing?

MCVC: I know many artists start right off their drop but I'm not that kind of guy. I need to know what's gonna come before it to make it fluid. So I go with a melody then add drums and I keep adding elements until I'm ready to write a drop. It might take me only a few hours to finish the initial structure of the song but the next 30 days, I will fix issues and work on my mixdown. I've been since forever on FLstudio and I don't think I will change one day because I like how simple it is to use. 

Dubstrapn'bass: What makes you different and unique among all the talented producers around?

MCVC: I think I have some really cool ideas. I'm a creative dude. I'm the kind of guy who can get you in with a really soft and gentle melody but then smash your face with an evil drop.




Dubstrapn'bass: Tell us about the place of Dubstep in Montreal.

MCVC: I'm so happy to live here because the dubstep scene takes a lot of place and the people who form that scene are there for the good reasons. They want to have a good night where they can headband knowing they will be respected by each other no matter what. I've been to a lot of shows in Montreal and I've never seen any fight. That's so amazing! Compared to a lot of places, we do have a lot of dubstep shows. Sometimes, I try to remember all the artists I saw Live and I have a hard time to remind them all.

Dubstrapn'bass: What can we expect for the future? What are the projects you are working on?

MCVC: We never know; maybe one day I'll start to perform live. That'd be so cool to see people grooving on my sound. I know nothing in the DJ world though, so that would still be a good challenge for me.

Dubstrapn'bass: You are also the Head Promoter of JD4D (JesusDiedForDubstep) label. How did that project start?

MCVC: I was a huge fan of the channel for many years and even got 2 or 3 of my songs posted on their Youtube page, but eventually, I started to see that it was slowing down a lot. They weren't posting as many songs as before. So I contacted the owner of the channel to let him know that if he was interested getting some help for his channel, I'd be there. At first, he wanted to make sure I had some good intentions and that I would do the job correctly. So I told him my plan to put back the label on track. And that's how my journey with JD4D started. 

Dubstrapn'bass: What is the aim of the label?

MCVC: I think JD4D is different from others because many labels will promote a particular subgenre of the Dubstep scene. And for us, Dubstep is Dubstep; so if you got talent, no matter what style you produce, no matter how many followers you have; we will promote your music the best we can , so you can earn some audience. So I 'd say our aim is to make you discover the best artists, to make them grow and to make us grow.

Dubstrapn'bass: What is the main key to be signed on the label?

MCVC: It's all about the music. If you got quality songs, no matter who you are ; you got what it takes.

Dubstrapn'bass: How do you cope with the 'competition' between labels if there's any?

MCVC: Sure; we all wish to be the biggest label out there but I've made so much friends that do the same thing than me and I could say we are all one big family who always help each other out.




Dubstrapn'bass: What is your biggest dream?

MCVC: I just want to be happy.

Dubstrapn'bass: What are your new challenges? Either in music, in your life or both?

MCVC: Time is my biggest issue. I got a 50H job, a girlfriend, a label to run, music to produce and connexions to keep. I got a busy life. At some point, I just want to take a break but when I do , I feel guilty. 

Dubstrapn'bass: What is your Top 5 of tracks?

MCVC: In no specific order, these are just some tracks I can't get rid of:
Ctwo- Beginnings.
K100- Old School.
Monxx X Codd Dubz- Midnight Hustle (VIP)
Kadaver- Dark Age.
Ratatat- Seventeen Years.

Dubstrapn'bass: Is there any artist you want to collaborate with?

MCVC: I'd be happy if Subject 31 would finally accept my requests ahahaha. One day, I'll be good enough and it will happen.

Dubstrapn'bass: What is the project you are the most proud of?

MCVC: Being part of the JD4D crew is a thing I'm really proud of because I was looking up to them for a long time and now, I'm part of it and I know I'm making the difference. 

Dubstrapn'bass: What do you think of the music scene nowadays and how do you see it's future?

MCVC: So many upcoming producers out there who really show us that we will keep raising the bar higher and higher in terms of sound design and production quality. But at the same time, there is , in my opinion, too many copycats. Dubstep will never die and will always amaze me.

Dubstrapn'bass: Define music.

MCVC: Music is like poutine for your ears. 



Make sure to follow MCVC and JD4D on:




Comments