Interview with WE BANG x MISTER BLACK



We Bang x Mister Black, this remarkable Bass duo producers with massive tracks releasing on Big labels, always pushing the limits! Hitting the charts with their Huge sound, transmitting  their extraordinary energy to the crowd while behind the decks . Recently, performing at EDC Orlando , always reaching the highest level! I wanted to know more about the projects they are working on,  their opinion about the music scene and more .  


1. You played alongside big artists like Downlink, Skrillex, Antiserum, Sluggo and more, getting a strong support from an amount of them and having released on big labels (Impossible Records, Multikill Recordings to name a few). First, what is the story behind 'We Bang x Mister Black'? 

WBxMB: We Bang was mastering tunes for Mister Black and we were both into each others style a ton so we decided to collaborate.

2. How did you get to Music?

WB: I started rocking out on the guitar when I was 8 after listening to a bunch of punk rock. When I was 14 my mom gave me a pair of turntables for a present and it was over after that.   

MB: I was given my first drum kit when I was 8 years old, and became immediately obsessed with all types of music. I purchased my first set of turntables when I was playing semi professional Hockey in my late teens. When I wasn't at practice or on the road , I was in my room rocking those decks . When Hockey was over for me, I was offered my first 'gig' at a warehouse party and the rest is history. 

3. Did you plan at your early age to make from music your career?

WB: No, that was definitely not in the plan. I always did it for a hobby and fun. 

MB: It was always a dream of mine to do something with music for living, I just din't know exactly what direction to go in. It didn't become a reality until I started attending and playing warehouse parties, and really started to understand how to make it all happen. 

4. What were you playing before starting producing?

WB: Guitar, but I really sucked at it.

MB: Drums, Guitar (Greg is better than me), Saxophone, Upright Bass and a little piano.

5. What are your musical influences?

WB: A bunch of not electronic music. Radiohead, Bestie Boys, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and then Noisia.

MB: Frank Sinatra to Slayer and everything in between. 



6. Who is your biggest inspiration? 

WB: Jack Ü, in the studio and in the decks , and then Noisia and my Mum.

MB: Pink Floyd, DJ Icey and all 80's music.

7. How did you get involved to producing and how many years have you two been into it?

WB: I started producing 15 years ago. I just wanted to learn how to make music so I went and got my first credit card and maxed that bitch out. 

MB: I started out by making edits and bootlegs for a record label called Crooklyn Clan under the alias 'The Unknown' years ago. One day I realized that writing original music is where my heart is at, and that's all I wanted to do.

8. How would you define your sound and how did you develop it?

WBxMB: Our sound is wide open. We are down to try and write anything. I feel we just go back n forth and work on the track together never going too far or too deep without getting the other put its influence in it first.

9. What is a typical day of production with WBxMB?

WB: Wake up from a phone or text message from Mister Black way too fucking early because every single day he forgets I am two hours behind. Hitting the studio by 8 am and just kinda going back n forth between production , mixing and mastering.

MB: I usually wake up and immediately text We Bang. Then When I realize that I am 2 hours ahead of him and that it is 6 am his time, so I go to the Gym, bike , ride or walk my dog until we are both ready to hit the studio. Then it all depends on what we have. Somedays , we pass tracks back and forth for hours . Some days we just focus on admin and sound design. Right now, we are focusing on our new EP for Impossible Records. 

10. Is there any particular process while producing and do you have favorite programs for producing?

WB: We are always trying to learn new techniques to make our sound better. I enjoy Ableton, Serum, Amplitude, and Slate Digital Plugins.

MB: Same here. 

11. What makes you different and unique among all the talented producers around?

WB: I feel like we can make anything from OG sounding tunes to commercial or trendy sounds.

MB: Greg and I are old school ravers and we have seen and been through a lot over the years. We've seen what works , what doesn't, and most importantly  how to evolve with this ever changing world of electronic music.

12. What do you like the most when playing live?

WB: The energy from the crowd makes me lose my shit!

MB: The energy for sure ! ...and free redbull.

13. What are the projects you are working on and what can we expect for the future?

WBxMB: Collabs with Sluggo and KJ Sawka, and working on our next EP. Plus a plethora of bootlegs. 



14. You are also producing and performing in solo each of you. Is there any project you are working on separately?

WB: Have a Drum N Bass project for fun that I do late at night when no one is around. But right now, we are focusing on our music and we have another project that no one knows about (WHAAAAAA).

MB: They know about it now Greg! LOL! On the side, I do a lot of production work for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Other than that, all of my studio time goes towards WBxMB projects. 

15. What is your favorite venue or festival to perform at?

WB: Play EDC.

16. What is your Top 5 of tracks?

WB: BeatBoys- Intergalactic/ Noisia remix of Nothing Matters/Mark Knight, Creaky Jackals- Don't Give Up/ UK Apashe and Shy FX-Original Nuttah/ Radio Head- Karma Police. 

MB: Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb/ Hippie Sabotage - Your Soul / Marilyn Manson-Lunchbox/ Mad Season- River of Deceit/ What So Not- Jaguar

17. Is there any dream collaboration?

WB: Everyone collab is a dream.

MB: Trent Reznor.

18. What is the project you are the most proud of?

WBxMB: We Bang x Mister Black 



19. What do you think of the music scene nowadays and how do you see its future?

WB: It's almost impossible to sound original. People are getting better and better and now you can be taught how to produce in little under a year or 2. I don't think that's a problem, however it's very sad to see that the average life span for an artist is only a few years.

MB: Too much turn and burn mentality. I could go on for hours. But won't. 

20. Greg, you are also at the head of 'Everyone Deserves A Chance' association. Can you tell us more about it?

WB: It's just a non profit organisation that helps out kids learn to DJ and produce music. 

21. Define music.

WB: The universal language.

MB: Music is everything and everywhere. 



Make sure to follow We Bang x Mister Black :



Comments